FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tonight FOX airs it's new reality series, ON THE LOT, and I for one am looking forward to it. A guy I know and David has known ever longer Jason Epperson is one of the semi-finalists on the show. Local boy done good! I sent in the trailer for 12 STEPS NOWHERE and obviously did not make the show. I will be puling for Jason though and I wish him all the luck in the world!

Now, I said I am looking forward to the show but I doubt America as a whole or a general TV audience is. PROJECT GREENLIGHT, the original reality show about film making, failed as did all the films that were a project of the show. I don't think this will fare much better in the long run.

Everyone dreams of being a music star, actor or sports star but people on a whole do not dream of making films. There are many who do but we are a niche not a generality. I mean aside from Steven Spielberg, Tarantino and maybe a dozen or so other famous film directors, you'll be hard pressed to find an average American who dreams of being a film maker rather than the next American Idol, the next Michael Jordan or the next Meryl Streep, Al Pacino or Johnny Depp or that can name 3 or more actual directors. I may be wrong but I am talking about the "average" viewer not even someone who enjoys movies on a more than just a cursory level.

That said I do hope that the show is successful. It's good for film makers in general if it does, more exposure on young indie filmmakers and hopefully more studios will be on the lookout for new talent. Even though I don't believe that this show will resonate with the general public viewing audience I know that competition is fierce in the world of film making and we could all use a little more help and exposure to the people who can make BIG things happen for small indie film makers.

So to all the semi-finalist on the show good luck and even more luck to the show itself. Everybody needs their first break!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Twenty One Productions @ 1:33 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.