FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

Sundance Hates Me!
Monday, December 12, 2005
My producer, David, reminded me that I haven't been blogging in a while. I guess I haven't had much to say. The cold weather has finally set in and the winter blues are already settling in. Mind you we don't have it bad here in the southeast but because I hate cold weather even a little is too much for me. It's times like these that I envy my friends and fellow filmmakers out in L.A. I wish I had their good weather fortune right about now.

Anyway, back to the title of this blog. Yes, Sundance hates me! I just received my second rejection letter for a movie of mine. Now let's be clear. I knew our chances of a Sundance approval was slim to none but there's always a hope. So, I'm not mad at Sundance, hell it wasn't even a shock to get the rejection letter. It's just that the festival snowball is quickly becoming an avalanche. The festival circuit so far as a whole has been unkind to us. Sundance says no, but nice work. Slamdance doesn't even let me know I haven't been accepted, I had to go to their website, look at the scheduled line-up and realize 12 STEPS was nowhere to be found. Chicago REEL shorts, said no, but likes to keep spamming me with their emails and one festival, the Show-Me digital just took our money and never even had a festival as far as I know. I contacted them, asking what's up and I get no response in return.

Now at least Sundance said no in a kind but yet bend over manner. Now the only solace I get from the Sundance thing is that I at least had a movie to submit. Most filmmakers can't get that far in their projects. I not discouraged, just disappointed. It doesn't keep us from making movies, if it did we would have stopped at CLOSURE. The next move is to keep submitting. Can't let the rejections get you down, but it is therapeutic to vent once and a while.

BONE CHINA will be different. I believe that wholeheartedly. I have to. All our movies get bigger and better and this one is far beyond anything we've tackled before. We brainstormed a couple of weeks ago on a realistic cast we want to go after and if we get a third of the people we want Sundance will be less of a obstacle next time around. It's no guarantee but the daunting task seems more manageable. Although a rejection letter might be more painful.

Other thoughts:
UK basketball, the one saving grace to an otherwise crappy collegiate sporting year and even crappier winter weather, is looking very bad. Could be a long painful season. Something we UK fans are not and never will get used to.

December, also the crap month for T.V. All my shows go into reruns, but at least now I have more time to focus on movies, and now I have nine episodes of Ghost Whisperer to catch up on.

MySpace is cool, yet if I have to continue to see wanna be 20 something male models, sans shirt, gelled up hair, with a "I am the fucking bomb, bitch" look on his face I'm going to fucking puke!

David just helped me do a Christmas video/parody for my nine to five company and what a friggin' bizarre feeling that was. We went from a crew of 10 -15 on the Star Wars parody back to just me and Dave just like it was on CLOSURE almost 5 years ago! We don't EVER want to do that again. Makes me salivate and long for for the BONE CHINA shoot!

Next time: The year in review and my end of the year awards! (I don't even know what I mean by that!)
posted by Twenty One Productions @ 9:48 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.