FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE
Thursday, August 18, 2005
Working nine to five just plain sucks! The fact is I actually admire people who love their "job." I work with people who have been doing the same job 20 or more years. Not working and moving up but literally doing the same job every day for 20 years, and they love it! I mean I have a job, a career. One that pays the mortgage, doctor bills, school, etc. And it'll do just fine. But there inherently lies the problem. My goal when I started my nine to five was to get as far as I could within the corporate (and I use that term loosely) structure. Seeing as how I didn't have a complete college education, (ie. no degree) I figured, at best, I would have a moderately good paying job and some decent benefits. Well it seemed as though every time I was willing (and ready) to jump ship, they would up the ante. Now after working for five years at the same place (a record I might add) I am the art director for a monthly publication that has a subscription rate of about 50,000+ people. It's no Oprah magazine (subscription rate in the millions), but it's at least a well paying position. Ah, I have achieved my goal, well a goal anyway. I have a professional well paying career now. But you know what? It sucks. It really is all about the journey and not the destination. It is for me anyway. Because once I have achieved a goal, and one mind you that I never expected to reach, my first thought is what's the next goal? Have I reached the ceiling? Maybe, if I let it be that way. This is where my A type personality comes into play. I have to keep moving up. The logical goal is to to work for a bigger publication. Fine. I'll start sending out resumes.

But honestly, if I could have it my way I would change careers altogether. I want to work in the video production field as a "career." The nine to five. That way it fuels directly into my movie "career." I know, how many friggin' careers do you want? Really, they would all be one in the same. My situation is that the company that can hire me away from my art director job really can't. Let me clarify. They'd like to hire me and if I was 20 something and my life consisted only of me and my needs. It would be an easy decision for me. But because starting over with them means lower pay, lower benefits, etc., and the fact is that I do have more than just myself to worry about. I have 3 ladies in my life that depend on my career as do I. So there's the rub. Fortunately for me it's not an all or nothing proposition.

I have been part of Twenty One for 4 years now, since it began. And I have a business partner and friend who is loyal to me and my position in the company like the mob is loyal (or back in the days when it was supposed to be, before Sammy "the Bull"). If there is anything that's more important to Twenty One it's loyalty, literally to a fault. In that respect I know that all the time and effort put into Twenty One is something I could never (nor want to) turn my back on and walk away from any more than I could turn my back on my family. It's the only thing I have that keeps me sane while I'm trudging my way through the nine to five.

I always have Twenty One to look forward to something. And I know barring some incredible force of almighty God himself that Dave would never leave me behind. Is that naive? Maybe. It is a business after all. But my gut and the past four years tell me otherwise. Like I say Dave at his core is loyal and that's all he's ever asks in return. Which is striking to me since I just got finished reading "DisneyWar." Where loyalty or the lack of it is what finally will oust Michael Isner from Disney in 2006. It was a detailed look at the entertainment business as a whole and how unGodly deceitful it usually is.

So, what's the final analysis? Well, I hate my nine to five. I love my non-paying job. And I would be happy making little or no money just doing what I love. But my family life prevents it...for now and that fact does not make me bitter. The Rock is my "job" and the necessary needs it fullfills. The hard place is my movies and not being able to do that as my nine to five. Luckily I have a company, business partner (now partners, Mat) that I can count on that will, in due time, help me remove the rock and make the hard place nice and comfortable.

Okay, obviously I am writing this at the "paying" job and my mind needed clearing before I look for something sharp to jab into my eyes. Thanks for reading. I feel better, do you?
posted by Twenty One Productions @ 11:32 PM

1 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The 3 ladies in your life sincerely appreciate you toughing it out with your "day job." They know that if it weren't for them, you'd be enjoying the odd hours of working in video full time for practically free.
    Those 3 ladies have complete faith in you that you will get your heart's desire and continue to move forward. They love you and would do anything for you - even if it is just to make the journey more interesting. Afterall, that is the main lady's goal in her life - to make the journey as interesting as possible...any suggestions?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.