FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

Hooray for Hollywood - Redux
Saturday, March 05, 2005
There is something about L.A., I'm sure I will get a million responses to such a general statement, but what got me thinking was a question posed by a fellow traveller while out in California as I took them on a tour in the city on angels, Hollywood, specifically. The question was, "What will I see there?" I had never been asked that before because to me it was obvious, but then I realized I am not your average tourist, and the person asking has no real interest in the T.V. and movie industry.

Honestly, I didn't have an answer for them. At first I thought, the Hollywood sign, Mann's Chinese Theatre, the Kodak, The Whiskey, The Roxy and so on. But for this "tourist" they stared blankly at me with a look that replied, "and? Big fucking deal!"

It just dawned at me at that moment. It was a vibe. Simple and cliche as that. For me just being a block or two away from movie studios, pre-production facilities, agents, actors, film makers, etc. was it! You can feel it, it's inspiring, you're a part of it and Hollywood puts the extras glitz on it just for shits and giggles!

David, Justin and I were recently interviewed for a local paper and one of the thoughts we ran across was the whole "indie" film culture vs Hollywood. For me that's as lame a debate as can be made in the generic David vs Goliath, rage against the establishment mentality of "some" up and coming artists. Be it film maker, musician or what have you.

The truth is that if it were not for Hollywood there's not one of us "indie" film makers that would be doing what were are in our respective Anytown, USA. Don't misunderstand me though, I think it's great that there are so many talented "local" film makers out there, not just in my hometown but all across America. And with the advent of digital film making it's brought us closer to our dreams. But it hasn't brought Hollywood closer to us nor is it threatening to run it out of business.

Hollywood got it right, it is the standard for which all future films are judged. We might not like much of what always gets spit out by of the Hollywood movie making machine. Much of it is shit, but it's still makes money and in the end as film makers we have to learn how to make and tell the stories we want and still make a living at it. That's why it's so fucking hard but then again when all those things mesh that's why it's great!

We here at Twenty One are "indie" to the nth degree, but we want our movies to be seen. As Walt Disney once said, "I don't make pictures just to make money. I make money to make more pictures." And as I say, " If no one ever see's you 'art' then it's as if it never exsisited to begin with." Fellow film makers that's my take on Hollywood, I like it, shit, I love it!

Remember you can always buck the system and tell it to go fuck's itself but always keep your fingers crossed behind your back.
posted by Twenty One Productions @ 8:09 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.