FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

Don't Worry...Be Happy
Friday, June 22, 2007
I will try and keep this concise and brief as this is a topic in which I could write a novel and it really does come down to simple perspective. Sometimes, for me, it takes seeing great suffering and pain in others to recognize how truly lucky I am. Last night I watched 2 VH-1 rock docs on RATT and PANTERA. When I look back and reminisce about the late 80's and my adventures in L.A. as a struggling musician I connect with the hair metal story in ways that only a few can imagine. After seeing the downfall that became of RATT I feel lucky now that I didn't become a mega rock star, I know how stupid that may sound, but it's true. Had I been in a RATT or a GUNS N ROSES I would have fallen into and embraced excess in all it's forms and I think I might have been ultimately have been destroyed by it.

The PANTERA story hit me even harder. Here was a band that flew it's heavy metal flag in the face of everything and everybody without fear and without regret. While the band was torn apart from within the true tragedy is what became of "Dimebag" Darrell. What happened is a story, now 2 years old, and one of record and infamy and I won't rewrite it here. What struck me harder than anything was the pain in the eyes of those who loved and cared for him and for those who his music touched in one way or another. My heart goes out to all those people and I know how that pain and sorrow feels.

I have suffered greatly in my life. I don't think what I have experienced is unique or makes me someone to feel sorry for and the details, again, are not ones that I am going to rewrite here. But seeing that story and feeling the deep emotions and experiences makes me understand and put into perspective what I do have and the pure joy it does bring me.

I get to make movies, I get to play music in a band, I get to be creative on a daily basis. I have a beautiful, supportive wife and two great children that I love more than life itself. I get to do things that I love. I may not be rich financially, and I may not be a household name. Be neither of those two factors prevents me from loving what I do and who I am. I wave my flag of aspiration, passion, love and heavy metal proudly and without regret. If it was all gone in a blink of an eye, I will have lived one great life!
posted by Twenty One Productions @ 9:16 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.