FRAME by FRAME

News and commentary from Russell Johnson and Twenty One Productions.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

The next few posts from me will be coming from Atlanta, GA. I'm out here for a design conference and I'm sure I'll have much more to report after I do the interactive studio tour.

Back to the reason for this post. I was watching a new summer show on Monday called CREATURE COMFORTS. I hadn't heard a lot of about this show or see it marketed at all. But I sat down and watched and I can say it was just about the funniest thing I have seen on broadcast TV in a long time! Literally my wife and I at one point had to pause the show and regain our composure which took a bit of time. I hadn't laughed that hard in forever! If this show was on after my surgery I would have busted major stitches! Now for those not in the know, CREATURE COMFORTS, is a half-hour, stop-motion animated series, excerpts are culled from real person interviews and placed in the mouths of a wide variety of animated animals to produce humorous, charming and insightful commentaries on everyday life.

The series grew from the Academy Award winning short film of Aardman Animations of Wallace and Gromit fame.

I don't know what struck me so funny about it but it just had me doubled over in laughter. The nuances of the claymation characters are fantastic. And some of the lines, knowing that these lines are not from actors but "joe average" is such a great combination to a formula that I hope stays on the air for more than one episode.

Critics love it and I love it, which means the show will bomb. I hope I get at least 3 more episodes before they pull it. Unfortunately in a world where "Git her done!" and ACCORDING TO JIM rule, I fear for the longevity of this show. But then again no one thought SEINFELD was funny when it began.

Now I am not claiming a higher plane of smart comedy that only I and a handful of people reside on. I think a lot of people will find it funny but they have to be willing to give it a chance, again much like with THE OFFICE. When it first hit all I heard was, "I don't get it. It's just not funny." Give it time. It'll take more thought and a little effort but man is it worth it. But as I fear after about 3 shows with crap ratings, week four with start off with back to back reruns of ACCORDING TO JIM, followed by a YES, DEAR reunion!

WATCH CREATURE COMFORTS! Jim Belushi might cause mass comedy suicides!
posted by Twenty One Productions @ 12:18 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States
Previous Posts
Visit the Site

Powered by Blogger

© 2007 TWENTY ONE PRODUCTIONS, All Rights Reserved STAR WARS and all associated characters, logos and other elements are the property of LucasFilm Ltd. This production is a "Fan Film", and as such no profit can be made from the presentation or distribution of this film. This film is not for sale. STAR WARS is a Registered Trademark of LucasFilm Ltd.